Monday, June 11, 2007

KL = Peninsular Malaysia

My girlfriend, who is from the peninsula, suggested that I be fair and write about the stereotypes of Sabahans that are actually true too.

Well, it's only fair so here goes...

A lot of Sabahan have the idea that KL and Peninsular Malaysia are one and the same. That means if you tell them you're from somewhere like Perak or Malacca or Penang, chances are they'll call you orang KL anyway.

I don't know why it's like this. Heck even my mother has the same misconception sometimes and I usually have to correct her.

I have a theory about why this is so though...

Maybe a lot of Sabahans take it for granted and assume that the peninsula is one giant state too.

I mean think about it. The peninsula is around the size of Sarawak. Sabah itself is bigger than any other states in West Malaysia.

(actually speaking of sizes of the states, this is another topic altogether which I'll probably blog about in future)

So that could be the reason why.

Oh, and I didn't make the whole KL = Peninsular Malaysia equation up. In fact, it was a Punjabi colleague of mine (who happens to have a Sabahan wife) who told me about his experience with this.

Y'see, this colleague of mine is from Penang, and when he went to his wife's hometown in Tawau and he told them where he was from, they replied "Oh... jadi kau orang KL lah ni?"

Hehehe....

3 comments:

小燕子 said...

:-P and everytime i say i'm from penang, ppl will assume i'm a hokkien lang...hmph. i'm teoka/hakchew moi!

About the Gobuk said...

Well, start a blog about Penang and Penangites la!

小燕子 said...

dowan...penang food maybe lah...but i've yet to own a good camera la so how to take pics of yummy food?